So, you have a Polycom phone in front of you - but you can't get it set up because you do not have the 'admin' password that it is asking for.
If the default password of '456' does not work, the phone has been used before, and may be 'locked up' with a particular VoIP provider.
There is a way to get in anyways, however, and make the phone yours! Read on to find out how..
** Please read through these directions before actually starting the process - there are a few different options listed, to cover the different Polycom models. **
First, locate the MAC address (serial number) of the phone located on under the phone, and write it down.
This will start with either '0004F' or '64167'.
Then, reboot the phone by disconnecting it from power (unplug it, wait a few seconds, reconnect it).
While the phone is powering back up depress the following keys simultaneously (you have about 5-10 seconds to complete this step):
** Note: If you see "loading application" and no countdown on your screen, select"cancel" and you'll be able to see the countdown.
- For VVX-Series phones: press and hold the dial pad keys 1, 3, 5 simultaneously during the countdown process until the password prompt appears.
- For the SoundPoint IP 320, 321, 330. 331, 335, 430, and 450: press and hold the 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the dial pad at the same time;
- For the SoundPoint IP 301, 501, 550, 600, 601, and 650: press and hold the 4, 6, 8 and * on the dial pad at the same time;
- For the SoundStation IP 4000, 500, and 6000: press and hold the 6, 8 and * dial pad keys;
Then, enter the MAC address of the phone (not case sensitive). To switch between alpha and numeric characters, try one of the following:
- On a VVX-series phone: press the "mode" key to switch between alpha and numeric characters.
- For Soundpoint IP phones: Depress the # key or the button directly beneath the (1/A/a) image;
Ta-da! At this point, you should be able to log into the phone with the default admin password (456), and get it configured.