So, you have a Polycom phone in front of you - but you can't get it set up because you do not have the 'admin' password that it is asking for.
If the default password of '456' does not work, the phone has been used before, and may be 'locked up' with a particular VoIP provider.
There is a way to get in anyways, however, and make the phone yours! Read on to find out how..
** Please read through these directions before actually starting the process - there are a few different options listed, to cover the different Polycom models. **
First, locate the MAC address (serial number) of the phone located on under the phone, and write it down.
This will start with either '0004F' or '64167'. Write it in ALL CAPS.
Then, reboot the phone by disconnecting it from power (unplug it, wait a few seconds, reconnect it).
Watch for the 'countdown' screen - this screen displays 'Seconds to Autoload:', and counts down from 10 seconds. During that countdown, depress the following keys simultaneously - the keys are different for each model family.
** Note: If you don't see this 'countdown' screen, and the phone proceeds to 'loading application', tap 'cancel' on that screen, and the phone will 'cancel loading application', and take you to the countdown screen.
- For VVX-Series phones: press and hold the dial pad keys 1, 3, 5 simultaneously during the countdown process until the password prompt appears.
- For the SoundPoint IP 320, 321, 330. 331, 335, 430, and 450: press and hold the 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the dial pad at the same time;
- For the SoundPoint IP 301, 501, 550, 600, 601, and 650: press and hold the 4, 6, 8 and * on the dial pad at the same time;
- For the SoundStation IP 4000, 500, and 6000: press and hold the 6, 8 and * dial pad keys;
Then, enter the MAC address of the phone (not case sensitive). This can be very tedious because on most models you cannot see which character has just been entered. We recommend writing out the characters you'll need to press in advance, because this is so annoying to do.
You'll need to switch between alpha and numeric characters during this process. We recommend using only the '1->Aa' and 'A->a1' keypad entry modes only, which will let you enter numbers or upper-case characters.
- On a VVX-series phone: press the "mode" key to switch between alpha and numeric characters.
- For Soundpoint IP phones: Depress the # key or the button directly beneath the (1/A/a) image;
To enter a 7, in '1->Aa mode', you just need to press the '7' key one time: '7'
To enter an R, in 'A->a1' mode', you need to press the '7' key 3 times: '7 7 7'
For example, to enter MAC address 64167FCECD68, you'd enter the below keystrokes:
Entry mode 1->Aa
6 4 1 6 7
Change to entry mode A->a1
3 3 3 2 2 2 3 3 2 2 2 3 (this translates to: FCECD)
Change to entry mode 1->Aa
If you get this right, the phone will confirm it is rebooting. If not, it will give you the 'incorrect password' error.
Ta-da! If you've got it, you should be able to log into the phone with the default admin password (456), and get it configured.
Article is closed for comments.